My Land Journey from Singapore to Hanoi in 25 days

Part 1: Singapore to Bangkok

It's always has been on my bucket list to see the magnificence of Angkor Wat during sunrise and the breathtaking view of Halong  Bay. The irony is that, it's so near Singapore and yet I have not been there until now. I have been to almost all over the world which are so much further and costed more. Where else, Angkor Wat and Halong Bay are just a few train rides from Singapore.

This idea of a train journey was pure serendipity, as good friend of my mine Rhea, forwarded me a blog on train journeys which included one similar to the one I will be embarking in. I started planning immediately after reading the blog, all it takes me 2 weeks to plan this journey.
Below is the photo illustration of my journey.

  
Day 1: Singapore to Johore Baru & Ipoh

Woke up at 6.30am, today is the day I am embarking my solo backpacking journey to Indo China.
By 7.30am, I am walking toward Lakeside MRT station heading to Kranji MRT station for bus No: 170 to Woodlands Train Checkpoint.
                      Image result for pictures of the bus stop at woodland checkpoint

I alighted here ( pic above), walk up to train ticket booth at about 8.30am, to my surprise was told there isn't any train departing till 10 am which were way too late. I would have miss my connecting train to  Gemas which leaves at 10am. I rushed to clear Emigration and took to the bus cross to JB central. 
Upon reaching JB KTM ticketing counter was told all tickets from Gemas to North Malaysia were sold out for the day. Ya big mistake!, I did not do any advance booking! So i took the alternative route, taking the Express bus to Ipoh. I made my way to Larkin where all the Express buses going to any parts of West Malaysia congregate there.  
Managed to purchase a bus ticket going to Ipoh at 11.30am for RM70.
Reached Ipoh at about 8.30pm due to traffic congestion along the highway from Melaka to Kuala Lumpur.
Overnight in Ipoh, met up my mum, Emily (my sis) and her husband for dinner.

Day 2: Ipoh to Bangkok

                             Image may contain: train and indoor 
EST to Padang Besar at 9.12am cost RM51.00, 
Reached Padang Besar, the Malaysian border town with Thailand at about 12.35pm.
Shared a mini van (Rm 4.50 each) with 3 other passengers to cross both emigrations. A little further away from Thailand immigration, we took another Minivan (Baht 50) into Hatyai town, journey about 2 hours.

                              Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sunglasses, sky and outdoor

Spend half a day in Hatyai, Thailand, exploring the town area and lunch at Robinson

                               Image may contain: food


Inside the Hatyai Train Station:
                                 Image may contain: 2 people, people sitting and indoor
My train to Bangkok depart at 6.30pm cost Baht945 (SGD39.45)
Is a sleeper train!
                                 Image may contain: people sitting
                                                          Regular seat before converting

                                 Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor
                                             It can be converted into a bed!

                                 Image may contain: indoor

Day 3: Bangkok
                                 Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, outdoor

I stayed in Bangkok for 3 days, visited almost all the tourist attractions, got the 3 days tourist pass (Baht 230) on the MRT. Should have gone for the BTS Syktrain Pass is more useful than the MRT pass. The BTS has 2 lines, its stops are in very prominent area, City center and the shopping area eg. Siam and Chit Lom, Sukhumvit and most importantly to Saphan Taksin Skytrain Station. Where i have to board the river cruise to most of the tourist attractions along the Chao Phraya.
Please check-out the below pic:


  From my hostel in Sukhumvit: http://www.liveituphostel.com/ , I took the MRT to Si Lom and changed to BTS Sala Daeng station to proceed to Saphan Taksin station to board the Chao Phraya Tourist boat (Baht 40). From my Hostel, I could have taken the Skytrain from Asok change at Siam then to Saphan Taksin, but I have previously bought the 3 days MRT pass, so i have to use the MRT train to make it worthy. 
Note: There is a distant of walk from MRT Si Lom station to the Sala Daeng Skytrain Station.
           The BTS have One-Day Pass too




Grand Place and The Temple of the Emerald Buddha
Both share the common compound, its consists over 100 brightly colorful buildings overall.
eg. Boromabiman Hall, built by King Rama VI, since then every kings lived there. Now the Grand Palace is only use for ceremonial occasions and no longer the royal residence.


Entrance to the Grand Palace, please note to wear proper attire ie. no sleeveless tops, shorts, aerobic tights or anything above the knees for males and females. As I was wearing my 3/4 yoga pant, of-cause I was turned away from entering, hence have to buy one of those elephant loose trousers.

                                Image may contain: sky, cloud, grass, tree and outdoor

 Wat Pho or Wat Phra Chetuphon 
Famous for its huge 46 meter gold plated Reclining Buddha. Wat Pho is one of the oldest Wat ;  a 17th century  temple from the Ayutthaya period  and also the biggest in term of square area (20 acres) in Bangkok
Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor


Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, indoor



Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, indoor

No automatic alt text available.


Wat Arun - The temple of Dawm
 Wat Arun is one of the most beautiful temples in Thailand due to its architecture and fine craftsmanship. The spire (prang) on the bank of Chao Phraya River is one of Bangkok's world-famous landmarks. It has an imposing spire over 70 metres high, beautifully decorated with tiny pieces of coloured glass and Chinese porcelain placed delicately into intricate patterns.
When I am there, they are still renovating the place. From my photos, you can still see all the scaffolding surrounding the spire.
Found out that, the renovation will be complete around year-end 2017

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

 Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, flower and outdoor  

I ended my day with dinner at SiLom Complex, a basement restaurant called Zaab Eli. Food was delicious, i had non spicy tom yum with white rice and thai ice tea (cost Baht 167)
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: food

Day 4 : Bangkok

I took the MRT from Sukhumvit to Hua Lamphong station them the tuk-tuk (Baht 60) to The City Parapet Phrakan Fortriess, Wat Ratchanatdaram, Ratchadamnoen Comtemporary Art Center and Democracy Monument.
Image may contain: car, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: cloud, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

Image may contain: 1 person, sunglasses, sky, cloud and outdoor

From the side road of near Democratic Monument, I took a local bus (Baht 10) to The Flower market.
Along the way i took all this photos.

Image may contain: indoor




Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing and food



Image may contain: flower and food

I took the boat ride to Sathorn Central board the Skytrain to Siam for some shopping therapy.
I visited Siam Center, Siam Paragon and Central Shopping Mall

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, outdoor 

Image may contain: 1 person, sunglasses and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, basketball court, selfie, close-up and indoor

Met-up with a Angel (short for Angelkaew; another fellow backpacker i met in Copenhagen last year)
for dinner near my hostel. It was great catching up.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people sitting, drink and indoor

Last night in Bangkok: Khao San street!

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor



Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, close-up, indoor and outdoor
Stayed till mid-night, because i need to wake up 4.30 am the next morning. I am taking the train to Aranyaprathet at 5.55am.

Look out for Part 2: Crossing the border from Thailand to Cambodia!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our mind Blowing Trans-Siberian Rail Journey Autumn 2019 - Route 3 ( Lake Baikal, Listvyanka & Irkutsk)

Chung Family Reunion summer 2017

Our Mind Blowing Trans-Siberian Rail Journey Autumn 2019 - Route 2 ( Ulan Bator to Ulan Ude)