My Land Journey from Singapore to Hanoi in 25 Days Pt: 2

Pt 2: Cambodia

Day 5 Bangkok to Siam Reap

Woke up at 4.00am, checked out from my hostel, the kind receptionist helped to call Uber for me to Hua Lamphong train Station. Today I am leaving Bangkok continuing my journey to Siam Reap.

OMG! Siem Reap, the place I have dreamed of visiting since my Secondary schooldays, when I saw a picture of Angkor Wat during one of my history classes. I am sooooo looking forward to see it for REAL!

My plan: 
From Bangkok: Train (5.5hrs) > Aranyaprathet : Tuk-Tuk (0.5hrs) > Poipet: Bus (3hrs) > Siem Reap
                                                        (Thai border)                                (Cambodia border)

No automatic alt text available.
It took us about 15 mins from Sukhumvit to Hua Lamphong, I reached at about 5.10am, purchased my ticket (Baht 48) Just imagine! SGD2.00 for almost 6 hrs train journey! Fantastically BUDGET! 
Its FREE sitting! Boarded the train and waited for the journey to my Dream destination to begin.
Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, indoor and close-up Image may contain: 3 people, people sitting and indoor
Auntie selling foods throughout the train journey.

I wasn't bored throughout this long journey rather I enjoyed it very much, there's so many things to see! and I have my 'Trusted Kindle' too! With ceiling fans blowing and morning breeze flowing in from the windows. It was a very pleasant ride! Oh yes it was raining the previous night too.
      Image may contain: foodImage may contain: food   Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor
       Choices of food sold on board the train                                          WTF@#%!!  at one Station??!!

Reached Aranyaprathet at 11.45am. Hired a tuk-tuk with a lady driver for Baht100.
A tuk-tuk can take 4 paxs, it will be cheaper divided by 4 but I did asked around if anyone would want to share. Guess they also heard about the horrible stories of BIG time SCAMMER here at the border. So after asking 2 tourists I gave up, maybe I look like the local cause I am really very tan now.
Its only SGD4! I will ride alone.
15mins later we reached the Thai border Check-point, we have to walk thru> clear emigration than continue walking to cross over Cambodia and look for its emigration Check-point after which.


Image may contain: outdoor   Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor
 Thai Emigration was a breeze! Fast and simple
Image may contain: outdoor
Actually the REAL SCAMMING starts the minute you stepped onto Cambodian soil!
Guess what? I thought I was pretty well informed and did a lot of research and am AWARE of SCAMMERS!!!.
  Image may contain: sky and outdoor    Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree and outdoor     Image may contain: outdoor 
 Footpath/bridge to Cambodia (Poipet)                         footpath leading to Arrival Checkpoint
OK Scam No 1.
Immediately at the end of the footpath or bridge about 160 meter toward Cambodia, there is a Tentage at the right-hand side. Two uniformed men directed us to a row of desks and chairs, seated behind, a couple of very "official" looking uniformed ladies. I though this was the "Emigration", (So easy??) the ladies was asking everyone for their passports. I gave her mine, she flipped thru, then she said in passable english; "Singapore.....you need VISA to enter Cambodia, I can make it now for USD35" 
I reacted very quickly, without replaying I took my passport from her. With my passport safely tucked in my bag, I told her "I am an ASEAN passport holder, we do not need Visa to enter any of its countries" then I walked away. 
Hurry!! 1 scammer down
I continued walking toward the actual Arrival Checkpoint! Its like... it takes me all over the Poipet town, got to cross many roads.... no security and system at all, must look for the SIGN. I am literally in the town center before I sported the Check-point sign again. Really no joke, never arrive to Poipet in the night, it will be a nightmare. Anyone can run freely to anywhere without clearing immigration, but when you leave the Cambodia they will impost heavy Fines on you. (Guess this is what they have in mind, another sauce of income)
Image result for pix of the arrival checkpoint of Poipet
Found the small hut, after the overhead bridge on the right, which is the Arrival Check-point. While queuing, I made friend with a couple from UK, they were in front of me. We planed to share taxi to Siem Reap. So all was perfect, I am so hyped-up... nearing Angko Wat! already. 

SCAM No 2 or "Loss In Translation"
The couple from UK had previously gotten their Cambodian Tourist VISA online in UK, was told by the immigration officer it is not valid for border Arrival. They have to go back to those Uniform ladies to get on the spot Visa!!??? HELL what is the different?? on-line visa not valid????  #@%*
Did they understand differently. Don't understand....they have to pay another USD35 each for a Cambodian Tourist Visa which they already had!!!

Anyway... I am on my own again, I cleared immigration, walked a head...there again people shouting tuk-tuk to Bus Station! I looked ahead saw a small sign "FREE shuttle bus to Bus Station" I remembered reading about the free shuttle buses, so I set and waited at the waiting area. Came local 2 guys asked if I am taking the free shuttle.The bus came the same guys told me to board the bus, was only 4 of us boarded.  Me, 2 young men from UK and 1 middle aged man from Germany. 
Reached the bus station in about 5 mins, it was secluded and empty. 

                             Image result for pic of the bus station at Poipet    
                                               This is the Bus Station they brought us to.
                        Bus fare to Siem Reap > US9.00       Taxi fare to Siem Reap >US12.00

 SCAM No 3:                                
Was told to wait for more passengers till the bus is full before departing, likewise for taxi too. In my heart, I was telling myself we might be scammed already. How to wait for a full bus of 30 paxs when there is only 3 of us going to Reap Siam and the other guy is going to Phnom Penh. There is no more train coming till later in the evening.... meaning not more passengers coming. Its only 1.30pm now, I waited for another half an hour, this was going noway, I am getting impatient already. I approached the 2 British guy if they are willing to take the taxi with me and I will pay for the 4th person meaning I pay US24, they pay US12 each. Finally after much discussion among themselves, they agreed.

OK off we go, travelling to Siem Reap in an Minivan all the way to our hostels, just the 3 of us.
I am still wondering.......... did we really gotten SCAMMED??

It was a 3 hrs journey, we started talking and introduced ourselves. Found out from the 2 British boys, this happened to them too. They actually paid for another Tourist Visa here when was told their on-line visa not valid. They were hopeful to get a refund from the Cambodian Immigration Department but I am doubtful.
Told them I am travelling alone and am 57 years old from Singapore. Imagine their facial expression! was stunned for awhile, then they politely asked if I can show prove of my age. I showed them my passport, they told me I am older than both their mums.
At the end, we all agreed, backpacking is safe and adventurous regardless of age, so long you can walk and able to carry a 10 kg weight on your back. This is the best way to really see and explore the places we wanted to visit.

SCAM No 4.
The 3 hours journey passed very fast, we finally reached Siem Reap! The minivan stop at a place just  outside of the town, where there was few tuk-tuk. I told the driver this is not my Hostel, he said the tuk-tuk will take us to our hostels. I said NO, our understanding was that, he was suppose to deliver us to our hostels. He kept on telling us to alight the minivan the tuk-tuk will take over from here FOC. I climbed on to a tuk-tuk and told him the name of my Hostel. He said I need to pay him USD4 or if I book his tuk-tuk to Angko Wat tomorrow morning, this will be FOC. I realised the minivan had already left by then. Again #@*# No choice! He wanted USD30, I bargained till USD20. 
So got Scammed again!

Finally I reached my Hostel at about 5pm. The tuk-tuk driver promised to pick me up at 4.15am tomorrow morning to see the sunrise at Angko Wat!........ NO! I did not pay him at all

   Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor            Image may contain: sky, tree, cloud and outdoor
                   Hostel is behind me                          This view is on the the right of the hostel

I stayed at https://onederz.com/siem-reap-one-stop , very clean and friendly hostel. For 3 nights I paid only USD22.50 for a 6 bed female dorm. I also found out that we could share tuk-tuk to Angko Wat for USD6 each!! for half day tour from 4.30am to 12pm.😞

The location was fantastic, Pub Street is just a street way. I am so excited to explore Siem Reap town.

Image may contain: outdoor Image may contain: one or more people, night and outdoor
  Siem Reap's many nice little cafes and pizzeria                                      Pub Street!!

Image may contain: food and indoor  Image may contain: drink and food  Image may contain: food
my dinner: Beer USD0.50, Springroll: USD2.00 and Burger: USD4.50 total USD7.00

Day 6: Angkor Wat! Realizing my Dream

Woke up at 3.30am, I was so excited! Had breakfast in the hostel for USD2.50
I saw they were also a number of guests taking the Sun-rise breakfast too. By 4.15am I was outside the hostel waiting for my tuk-tuk to arrive. Another 10 mins he did not make an appearance.
I quickly approached the receptionist to check if there were any slot for one more person. Bingo one empty slot!!
OMG!, Believed it! The Almighty was really looking after me! I am joining a group tour paying only USD6.00!
Our group consisted 2 European young ladies, (speak a little english), 1 Penang young man name Soon and me.
We stop half way at the ticket booth to purchase our Pass (cost USD62 for 3 days).
         Image may contain: 1 person, indoor     

Within minutes we are on our way to Angkor Wat. 
Less than half hour later, I could not believe it! OMG
I saw silhouettes of the temple against the almost dark sky.
I fixed my eyes toward the temple and alighted from the tuk-tuk with my group, we followed the flow of tourists towards the grand entrance and the best spot to watch the sunrise. My eyes never left the sky where the sun was peeping out from behind the temple and trees. I do not want to missed any movements. As I gotten nearer towards the temple, the colours of the sky are changing to a mixture of purple, orange and yellow along the sky line of Angkor Wat.
This was want I was looking forward to in my whole adult live!
I was so overwhelmed, its Magnificent at the same time Magical. I was not disappointed at all in
fact its was more Mesmerizing than what I had envisioned!
Bucket list: TICKED
 .  

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, cloud, tree, outdoor and nature   Image may contain: 2 people, sky, outdoor, nature and water

 Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water  Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sky, outdoor, nature and water

 Image may contain: people standing, sky, cloud, twilight, outdoor and nature  Image may contain: 1 person, crowd, mountain, outdoor and nature

 Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, cloud, twilight, outdoor, nature and water 

After the Sun-rise phenomenon, we went round exploring the archaeological site of Angko Wat.
I made a pack with Soon (the young Penang guy) we will team up together. 

Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat is a temple complex and the largest religious monument in the world, with the site measuring 162.6 hectares. It was built by thKhmer King Suryavarman II  in the early 12th century. Towards the end of the 12th century, Angkor Wat gradually transformed from a Hindu centre of worship to Buddhism, which continues to the present day.
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature    Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor  Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and nature
       Image may contain: sky and outdoor 

By 7.00am we need to leave Angkor Wat for other Temples. We did not enough time to explore the area, so decided to come back tomorrow by bicycle. Soon was God send to me, throughout the tour, he was busy marking the temples on his mapsme app.

Next is Bayon, Ta Keo, Ta Prohm and lastly Banteay Kdei. 

Bayon Temple
The Bayon is located in the center of the city of Angkor Thom 1500 meters (4921 feet) from the south gate. Enter tower of the Bayon is from the east. Prasat Bayon was built in late 12th century to early 13th century, by the King Jayavarman VII, dedicated to Buddhist. It's was build 100 years after Angkor Wat. 
Bayon is known for its huge stone faces of the bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara, with one facing outward and keeping watch at each compass point. The curious smiling image, thought by many to be a portrait of Jayavarman himself, has been dubbed by some the "Mona Lisa of Southeast Asia." There are 51 smaller towers surrounding Bayon, each with four faces of its own.
        Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature  Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, cloud, sky, sunglasses, outdoor and nature
 Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoorImage may contain: cloud, sky, outdoor and nature
                         
Ta Keo temple.
Ta Keo is a temple-mountain, in Angkor, possibly the first to be built entirely of sandstone by Khmers.
Was under renovations, so did not explore further.

We had early lunch in front of this temple.


Ta Prohm
Ta Prohm was originally called Rajavihara is the undisputed capital of the kingdom of the Trees'.
 It was built about mid-12th century to early 13th century (1186) by the King Jayavarman VII, as a Mahayana Buddhist monastery and university, dedicated to the mother of the king (Buddhist) replica to Bayon style of art. 
Location for the movie 'Tomb Raider'


                    Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor      Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor and nature




After Ta Prohm, we are running out of time, so the tuk-tuk driver took us back to our hostel.
I made plans with Soon to meet-up for dinner later on and to check-out the bicycle rental and food to bring along for our excursion tomorrow morning.

Dinner time at Pub Street:
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting, drink and indoor   Image may contain: food
                Total dinner plus 2 rounds of Beers was USD7.00 each!
Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, night and outdoor
             Selling alcohol cocktails along the road side!!
Image may contain: one or more people and indoor  Image may contain: 1 person, indoor
We bought breads and water for our bicycle trip tomorrow. After dinner we explored the town for a while and checked out the nightlife. By 10pm I was in bed already. We agreed to meet at 7.00am tomorrow morning, have breakfast and depart by 8am.

Day 7
As planned we met at 7.00am, when out for breakfast
Image may contain: 5 people, people eating, people sitting, child and outdoor   Image may contain: food and indoor    Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor
porridge USD1 ( i saw the local paying only 2,000 KHR only about 0.50US) 😠

By 8.00am, we were already on our rental bicycles paddling towards Angkor Wat.
Below were all the Temples we visited. (maybe some labeling might not be correct cos to many similarities in most temples)

 
             
We spend half day at Angkor Wat, exploring almost very corner of the temple.

                Image may contain: 1 person, selfie, outdoor and close-up  Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, outdoor 


Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor Image may contain: one or more people, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

                Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people sitting, child, hat and outdoor   

We went to a few more Temples which we did not visit yesterday.

Angkor Thom:
Image may contain: 1 person, sky, cloud, outdoor and nature


Phnom Bakheng Temple:
Phnom Bakheng is a Hindu and Buddhist temple in the form of a temple mountain. 
Dedicated to Shiva, it was built at the end of the 9th century.

It was a steep walk up to this mountain top temple, took us about half an hour walk. Its still under restoration work.



Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, sunglasses, sky and outdoor  Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

Preah Khan Temple








 Baphuon Temple:


                                                                        
     Terrace of the Elephants
 


Neak Pean Temple



Ta Som Temple








Pre Rup Sunset


Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor  Image may contain: 3 people, sunglasses, sky and outdoor
Image may contain: sky, tree, cloud, outdoor and nature  Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree, twilight, outdoor and nature

After witnessing the beautiful Sunset at Pre-Rup, was about 6.30pm already.
We started to paddle back to our Hostel, it was getting darker by the minute as we made our way back passed thru Angkor Wat again using the Grand Circuit then the Charles de Gaulle Road back to Siem Reap town. We reached our Hostel at about 8.00pm, total we cycled about 34 km that day from 8am to 8pm.
Kudos! to Soon and yours truly!  we came back safe and sound.

Time to Celebrate our achievement! and Soon's birthday!! @ Pub Street

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting, drink, table and indoor  Image may contain: food

   Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people sitting, table, indoor and food
Again out dinner cost us UDS7.00 each

Day 8
Today, my last day in Siem Reap, tonight I will be continuing my journey to Phnom Penh via overnight express bus; Giant Ibis (USD15.00)
A day of relaxation and exploring this vibrant town plus meeting up with Soon for lunch and dinner too.
 Image may contain: 1 person, food Image may contain: 1 person, indoor
Me buying carrot in the market place!                     He is the owner of this souvenir shop

 Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor Image may contain: sky and outdoor
Siem Reap's many many little hidden lanes!                          Pub Street by day!

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor Image may contain: one or more people, food and outdoor
Durian anyone??                                                       Roasted pork, chicken etc etc


Dinner time:

Image may contain: people sitting, drink and indoor Image may contain: food

We found this quine little restaurant at the side-road next our Hostel offering FREE beers with each main dish ordered. The food was delicious, owner is a European (might be French) guy married to a local girl (so romantic!).

Time to say BYE BYE to Siem Reap and Soon.
Honestly, Never could I have imagined myself, one day, will be gallivanting around the Angkor Archaeological Park on bicycle! It was pure fun and joy, I wish all of you who are reading this blog, please try it out if you have the opportunity.
Remember I am 57 years old, if I can, you definitely can!
I would like to thank Soon for allowing "this auntie" to tag-along with him on this memorable visit to the Angkor Temples. 😎  

Look out for my next blog; Siem Reap to Phnom Penh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our mind Blowing Trans-Siberian Rail Journey Autumn 2019 - Route 3 ( Lake Baikal, Listvyanka & Irkutsk)

Chung Family Reunion summer 2017

Our Mind Blowing Trans-Siberian Rail Journey Autumn 2019 - Route 2 ( Ulan Bator to Ulan Ude)