The Horror of Boarding the Wrong Train!!


Lillehammer Station @5.50pm
Image result for photos of dovre train from lillehammer to trondheim

Finally, we reached Lillehammer at 5.50pm, our next train to Trondheim was 6.17pm. Having 25 minutes to spare we quickly purchased our tickets from the machine 745kn about SGD128.50 per person. We will be boarding the train on platform 1, conveniently, was just in-front of us at the main building, so no need to cross underground to another platform.
6.02pm, Ok a few more minutes to spare, I quickly went to the cafeteria to purchase our dinner to take on board the train. Suddenly, a train just like the above pulled up on Platform 1, I quickly rushed to Emily telling her that might be our train, we should board now.
We quickly grabbed our backpacks and ran out to the platform. There was a uniformed train officer saw us, he waved at us and told us to hurry up to board the train. Without second thought, both of us jump on board. Feeling exhilarated, we look for our seats, upon locating our seats, we found it was occupied. The same Officer who saw us earlier, told us to just take any unoccupied seat. Within minutes the train was moving away from the station and I noticed most passengers around us were wearing business attires with brief cases.
Suddenly, a flash of thought crossed my mind, did we board the Wrong Train??? Horror. At the exact same moment Emily asked me " Jie, are we on the right Train?" Oh Shit she had the same doubt too.
I quickly turned to the gentlemen sat next to me, I asked him "Where is this train heading to?" He told me: " OSLO".
OH MY GOD!!, we just board the wrong train. My mind by then, was racing like 100 miles/hrs. Schedule all upset!! Wasted alot of monies buying trains fare, accommodations etc etc.
The Train officer appeared, I signaled him to come forward, I showed him our tickets, and told him we board the wrong train! He was stunned for a moment, then he told me the train will reach Oslo by around 8.30pm and there will be another train leaving from Oslo to Trondheim at 2am in the morning. Told him this is not a good alternative, as we paid so much for this tickets.
"Can we get off at the next station?". He said the next station will be another half hour and we will definitely miss our north bound train. I begged him to help us, if there was any better solution.
He told us the sit tight and walked away.
I was resigned to the fate that we will get off from this train, spend the night at the next station which is called: Moelv Station and wait for the 2 am train from Oslo.
All these conversation happened within 5 mins after the train departed from Lillehammer.
Suddenly, the Train officer came to us, while talking to his phone. He signaled us to take our belongings with us and follow him to the front of the train.
Very subtly, I felt the train was slowing down to a stop, he then opened the train door, at the same time, told me our train will be here in 2 mins.
He then jumped down to the track grabbing my backpack with him, Emily and me followed suit.
I looked at the surrounding around us, we were in nowhere, all trees and tall grasses along a train tracks. Further up there are a patch of sandy area with some sort of boulder.
The Train officer told us to move further away from the track, or else we will be knock down by our train. Our north bound train will be here any minutes he said. We were so stunned of what was going on, we forgot to thank him. He jumped back on the train, closed the door and the train moved away from us.
Both of us just stood there in the middle of nowhere............then we heard and saw the train at the same time, slowing down right in front of us.
Whoosh! the door opened, an older Train officer jump down from the train smiling at us, asking us "Going to Throdhiem?" OMG!! I was so ficking happy to see him. He grabbed both of our bags, threw up to the train and helped us up to the train.
I must tell you, from the ground to climb up to the train was like almost my height. He have to pull me up from the train and Emily have to push my backside from below. Its no joke, what an experience!!
After thanking him, we went looking for our seats. This time round, we easily found our seats.
We settled down and enjoyed the rest of our train ride, and kept thanking our lucky stars for letting us meet with very nice and helpful people. Both of us are truly Blessed.
Believed it, if I remembered correctly, the train pulled up at Lillerhammer Station right on time @ 6.17pm!!
Both of us just gazed at the station from our seats with amazement, recalling of what had transpired the last 15 minutes of our lives.

I would like to take this opportunity to say a BIG and Heartfelt THANK YOU to NSB and the 2 officers who had helped us. For both officers, I am very sure they had bended some rules and went out of their ways to help us, 2 poor Asia ladies out of our unfortunate predicament,  mistake made by ourselves.
The date was 17th May 2016, our Train 6.17pm bound from Lillehammer to Trondheim.

From there on, I kept telling people how we encounter helpful people and how fortunate both of us were. The above story never failed to fascinate everyone who listen.
Some commented; was just like a James Bond movie where we jumped train tracks and changed train!!
What a great EXPERIENCE!!!
Thank you! 💋



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our mind Blowing Trans-Siberian Rail Journey Autumn 2019 - Route 3 ( Lake Baikal, Listvyanka & Irkutsk)

Chung Family Reunion summer 2017

Our Mind Blowing Trans-Siberian Rail Journey Autumn 2019 - Route 2 ( Ulan Bator to Ulan Ude)